Why should I test my Lawn & Garden Soil?
- Recommendations based on how well the soil will supply nutrients for plant growth will be provided for lime and nutrient application.
- Testing the soil can save you money in the long run. By following the recommendations, you can vary application rates throughout the lawn or garden instead using a blanketed rate over the entire area. This will save on the total product used.
When do I sample?
- Generally sampling every two to four years is sufficient.
- Gardens: Anytime that the soil is not frozen. But try not to sample soon after nutrient or lime application.
- Lawns: Again, try to steer clear of sampling after any applications.
How do I sample the soil?
- The soil around a home can vary a great deal. Do your best to sample areas that are similar by characteristics and management practices.
- Composite samples from various locations within an area to make one sample for a designated area.
- Collect samples from 5 locations (or more) and combine into a composite sample
- The number of composite samples is dependent on the regularity and past management practices of the area being sampled.
- Gardens: be aware of changes in soil texture between areas, especially when sampling a large garden. Also, if one area of the garden has a history of poor production it may be wise to sample separately.
- Lawns: if there are areas that aren't as green or lush as others then they should be sample separately.
- DO NOT SAMPLE LAWN AND GARDENS TOGETHER!
- Use either a soil probe or a trowel to sample the top 6" of the soil.
- After mixing the composite sample place it into either a plastic bag or a soil sample bag.
- Label the bag well. Each bag should include:
- Your name
- The area designation (i.e. backyard, N-garden, etc.)
- The sample number (i.e. 1, 2, 3, etc.)
- The type area sampled (i.e. lawn, veg. garden, etc.)
- Be sure to Request a Lawn & Garden Kit which includes everything you will need to submit a sample or download and complete the Lawn and Garden Information Sheet for samples you intend to drop off at one of our locations.
For more information call Dairyland Laboratories, Inc. at 608-323-2123 or contact us here